Friday, April 9, 2010

The Queen of the United States

So in a recent poll taken, the results showed about half the United States as being "fine" with a gay president. Somehow I think those statistics are a bit skewed. Although it did remind me of a little tidbit I heard once...

A gay president? We've already had one, ladies!

15th President of the United States, James Buchanan, is the only president in history to remain a bachelor... OR WAS HE???

*cue dramatic music and thunder clap*

Her Royal Highness Buchanan was engaged to Ann Coleman, daughter of a wealthy iron manufacturer. But the poor lass died "of hysteria" while the two were still engaged. Buchanan sent a letter of sorrow to the girl's Father which basically stated that he'd never love again.

OR WOULD HE????

For 15 years prior to his presidency, Mme. Buchanan, lived with his very close friend and fellow bachelor William Rufus King, an Alabama Senator. Buchanan and King's nieces destroyed their uncles' correspondence, leaving some questions as to what relationship the two men had, but the length and intimacy of surviving letters illustrate "the affection of a special friendship" and Buchanan wrote of his "communion" with his housemate.

"Communion." Is that what they called snogging then?

In May 1844, during one of the interruptions in Buchanan and King's relationship that resulted from King's appointment as minister to France, Buchanan wrote about his social life: "I am now 'solitary and alone', having no companion in the house with me. I have gone a wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with any one of them. I feel that it is not good for man to be alone, and should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can nurse me when I am sick, provide good dinners for me when I am well, and not expect from me any very ardent or romantic affection."

Buchanan and King's close relationship prompted Andrew Jackson to refer to King as "Miss Nancy" and "Aunt Fancy," while Aaron V. Brown spoke of the two as "Buchanan and his wife."

Miss Nancy and Aunt Fancy! And I've just figured out what I want my nieces and nephews to call me and my partner should I happen to find the poor bastard.

Ready for a gay president? The question is are we ready for the next one?

You go, Miss Nancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment