Saturday, March 6, 2010

Teddy Thompson

So Teddy Thompson is not exactly what you'd call fresh on the scene (he released his first album in 2000), but sometimes I'm not exactly quick on the uptake when it comes to current music.

I'm sorry, I mostly listened to the Carpenters and musicals when I was growing up... And occasionally still do. Ahem.

Anyway, I first heard Thompson in 2005 when he recorded a track with his close friend Rufus Wainwright for the soundtrack of Brokeback Mountain ("King of the Road"). And being the least curious cat in the alley, it wasn't until today that I bothered to check him out.

Not only did I learn that this 33-year-old British musician is completely dreamy, but I also love his 2008 album A Piece of What You Need.

He is the son of British folk-rock musicians Richard and Linda Thompson and moved from England to Los Angeles at the age of 18 to pursue his music career. His first album, Teddy Thompson, was released in 2000 and achieved great critical success, but minimal commercial success. This album was followed by Separate Ways (2005) and Upfront & Down Low (2007).

A Piece of What You Need
is considered by many critics and fans to be his greatest album to date. The album ranked #10 after its first week on the UK Charts during August 2008.

I have also unwittingly been listening to him sing backup and guest vocals for years on Rufus Wainwright's Want albums. Thompson is good friends with both Rufus and Martha Wainwright. The three have toured and recorded together multiple times.

Thompson's song "Love Her for That," from his debut album, was featured in the 2002 film 40 Days and 40 Nights. He currently resides in New York City.

Thompson is a great musician and a gay-friendly British babe to boot. In an interview with GaydarRadio.com he was asked who he would date if he were to be gay for one weekend. Thompson responded "Who is to say I’m not gay? It’s tempting to say something obvious like James McAvoy but everyone fancies him, so probably Johnny Depp as it seems I could have fun with him."

Thompson went on to say that his ideal woman would be Johnny Depp with tits, so who can say?

The point is he delights me and I sincerely hope that he continues to delight more people as time rolls along.

Below is the official music video for what is probably his most popular song to date, "In My Arms." The song is sweet, the video is adorable, Thompson is a cutie patootie, and the video features a cameo by Rufus Wainwright who inexplicably spazzes out on a pair of roller skates and then plays the organ. I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment