Friday, June 5, 2009

R.I.P. David Carradine

Television icon and film star David Carradine brought a lot of joy and fascination to people the world over, starting with his star-making cult classic TV show "Kung Fu" and more recently with his intriguing performance as Bill in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill films, of which I am a big fan.

As I'm sure everyone is already aware, he was found hanged in his hotel suite in Bangkok, Thailand. He was 72 years old.

Carradine successfully carried on a legacy started by his father, legendary film star John Carradine. David was well loved not just by his many fans, but also by his family, friends, and colleagues.

His friend and Kill Bill costar Michael Madsen said, "David was one of the first actors I ever worked with when I started my career and the closest person to a brother that I ever had in my life. It is shocking to me that he is no longer with us. I had been thinking about calling him for the last several days, and advise anybody who has been thinking about reaching out to a loved one to do so."

Carradine's niece, actress Martha Plimpton, writes, "My Uncle David was a brilliantly talented, fiercely intelligent and generous man. He was the nexus of our family in so many ways, and drew us together over the years and kept us connected. I adored him as a child, and as an adult I admired and respected him."

To read updates as to Carradine's cause of death, check out msnbc.com. The latest suspicion (at the time of this post) is accidental death due to auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Regardless of how or why David Carradine died, he leaves behind many fond memories, a strong message of perseverance, and an obvious love for his life and everyone in it.

To quote David directly, "You can't quit; even coming in dead last has honor."

We'll miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment