Monday, May 18, 2009

Marriage Equality Rally

This past Sunday, May 17, I had the privilege of attending a rally in support of Marriage Equality. It was a fantastic experience and I was so glad to be there in support of the New York LGBT community to which I belong. The rally was organized by Broadway Impact, HRC, and Broadway Cares - Equity Fights AIDS. The turnout was amazing with well over 1000 supporters (spanning several blocks) showing their enthusiasm and hope that the Senate passes the Marriage Equality bill.

There were many fantastic speakers including politicians, entertainers, entrepreneurs, and church leaders. Their words were so adament, intelligent, and encouraging. I was so awestruck to be in a crowd just a stone's throw away from the likes of actors David Hyde Pierce, Cynthia Nixon, Kristin Davis, Cheyenne Jackson, John Tartaglia, and Audra McDonald, along with Governor David Paterson, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Senator Tom Duane, and Speaker Christine Quinn.

It was truly an awesome experience and I maintain my hope that New York will be the next state to usher in a brighter future for me, my friends, and the rest of our community who are long overdue for complete equal standing as human beings living in this world.

If you live here in New York, I once again ask you to visit BroadwayImpact.com and contact your local Senator to urge them to vote in favor of this bill!

Below are some highlights put together by one of the many demonstrators there that day (though he put the wrong date on the video). If you have an eagle eye you can spot me in the crowd toward the very, very beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment